Cell Culture Company (C3) is the world leader in the use of Hollow Fiber Perfusion Bioreactors. Our line of AcuSyst® (Automated Culture Systems) Bioreactors provides our customers with the following benefits:
Pioneered to improve the quality of cell culture by creating in vivo-like conditions, our AcuSyst Bioreactors are used to expand mammalian and insect cell lines for the production of expressed proteins. Designed to provide the optimal environment for cell growth and production, our AcuSyst technology offers significant advantages over traditional cell culture platforms for many applications.
How do they work?
- Hollow fibers are semi-permeable capillary tubes made of polymers about 200 µm in diameter
- The hollow fiber creates two spaces:
- The extracapillary “Cell” side where cells are grown
- The intracapillary “Media” side where media flows at a high rate
- The semi-permeable walls of the hollow fibers allow essential nutrients to feed the growing cells from the Media side to the Cell side
- The separation of the cell product from the bulk media flow:
- Prevents the cells from experiencing shear stress that could limit growth and production
- Keeps the product highly concentrated to cut downstream processing requirements
- Waste flows from the Cell side to the Media side to be washed away, but the hollow fiber pore size restrictions retain cells and cell products
- Protein product can be continually harvested into a refrigerated harvest container as a concentrated, cell-free supernatant that is ready for downstream purification
- Decreases risk of protein degradation
- Essentially eliminated downstream concentration steps